Sunday, November 20, 2011

An Ancient Church Threatened

My spirit weeps for you, oh sacred temple of my ancestors!

They have ripped you apart, stolen your treasures, defaced your interiors, robbed you of that historical soul which has inflamed the hearts of so many across countless generations...and yet, they are not done with you! Not yet...not until they have destroyed every last valued bit of your artistic integrity and historical worth! The rape of the ancient Church of San Policarpo continues with reckless impunity as her children helplessly, and worse, oh so willingly, stand idly by to watch her unabated desecration...so yes, I rip my garments in grief as my spirit weeps for you, oh sacred temple of my ancestors!

O, mores! O, tempora!
· · · October 29 at 1:13pm ·
  • 7 people like this.
    • Sid De Monteverde Acuna I remember the days when my brothers and a sister played on the grass of the plaza and stayed under the shades of the mango trees and quenched our thirst at the artesian well across our house beside the ricemill. I remembered the glorieta where we stayed to rest. Now, I can see them only in my dreams.
      October 29 at 10:54pm ·
    • Sid De Monteverde Acuna Soon the church with its massive adobe walls where I was baptized by padre Lucas de Ocampo will soon be gone.
      October 29 at 10:56pm ·
    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences I hope not, Sid...I certainly hope not!
      October 29 at 11:03pm ·
    • Kevz Romualdbermz The National Historical Commission, through the Honorable Ivan Henares had asked me to send him details regarding the upcoming destruction of our church. We hope and pray for all the best.
      October 30 at 12:17am ·
    • Norita Deacosta Levy Are there plans to demolish the church?
      October 30 at 3:37am ·
    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences No, Norita...based on reports, just another major reconstruction that will add a right wing to the old church, blasting through the buttress of the right section of the main nave and rignt into where the old convento (now cursillo house) stands...only God knows what's next!
      October 30 at 8:29am · · 1Loading...
    • Norita Deacosta Levy It is really a pity that while some governments are trying to preserve their past, here we are doing the opposite. I have seen old churches in North America and Europe, and let me tell you that the old San Policarpio that I used to know can compare with their beauty and grandeur. When will we wake up to cherish the beauty of our heritage?
      October 30 at 12:35pm · · 1Loading...
    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences I cannot agree with you more, Norita... *sigh*
      November 1 at 3:54pm ·

No comments:

Post a Comment