Sunday, April 10, 2011

Real Cabuyeños, Odd Names

 Long before political correctness became the order of the day, old time Cabuyeños thought nothing about calling each other names -unusual names that were used to refer to interesting town characters until the monickers stuck like glue across generations.  Some are really funny, others odd and a few are downright mean, I think.  For instance, when one is called by a name that alludes to some physical deformity of sorts...such as Maggie "Bingot" (pronounced Mad-ji  by oldtimers), Poldong "Baboy" (a big, burly jueteng collector with super thick-lensed eyeglasses who plied the main street in front of the market site collecting bets from drivers and market shoppers), Salud "Bulag" (now even I thought that was a bit mean) and Odeng "Tootit" (I found the word odd until I discovered from my Lola's story that Aling Odeng's father was a Deacosta who was practically toothless except for his two front teeth - TWO TEETH, get it? *chuckles*  Funny that a father's monicker stuck even to his daughter's name...).

Then there were those whose names are of totally mysterious provenance to me up to this very day - Enteng "Campana", Joseng "Tuhod" and Iskong "Patis" (who was both a band musician and the town barber - so what has patis have to do with these? hmmm...).  Speaking of how parent's names are passed on even to their children, Mang Isko (Larumbi) has a son who is similarly a band musician and barber - yes, you guessed it right - he is known as Totoy "Patis". On a side note, this father and son tandem cut the hair of generations of male Cabuyenos...I remember barbershop trips with my Dad and kid brother (when it was still located next to the old Cabuyao Cinema and Aling Juana's delicious halo-halo store next door) when it was usual to find the menfolk of Cabuyao (Santos Gaynilo, Iking Hemedes, Lolo Aciong, Valentin Panganiban, among others) having their trims and engaging in discussions about the burning issues of the day.

Well, I guess all this could not have been shocking to a generation who grew up to such commonplace commodities as Katialis, Tentay Patis, Ang Tibay shoes and Kiko Baterya...what about you, do you have a funny name or two in your family tree? *grins*

by Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 12:27pm


  • Evie C. Locsin and 5 others like this.

    • Mike L. Cariño Add to the list: "Puting Kilay" and "Bagyo" families. :-)
      October 13, 2010 at 5:00pm · · 1 personLoading...

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@Mike L. Cariño : That's right,Tito Mike...how can I forget! *laughs* There was once an old guy who drove a top down looking like Humphrey Bogart, a Terio Dinulos I think, who hounded kids who called him Bagyo and 1-2-3 Pak! heheh I was once upon a time one of those kids...*chuckles*
      October 13, 2010 at 5:44pm · · 1 personLoading...

    • Mike L. Cariño So right Ricky!!
      October 13, 2010 at 5:47pm ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences hmmm...I was reminded by someone tonight via sms about a Cabuyao family one of whose forebears was popularly known as "Tilaok"... does anyone know what the story is behind this monicker?
      October 13, 2010 at 9:33pm ·

    • Mariavictoria C. Go Is that "Bagyo" you mentioned the perennial bachelor who lived in a "California" moderne house on Osmena Street? What is his real name. He was a charismatic persona - an avid reader & I heard he travelled a lot but using freighters or cargo ships because they are cheaper. But he must have had quite a life of adventure! And why "Bagyo"?
      October 14, 2010 at 12:01am ·

    • Pilut Schuler
      That was good!!!!!!!! I know the Tilaok! He was the Alconaba's father, our neighbor. I think he was called Tilaok because he could not play the trumpet well and sometimes he sounds like the rooster (tumitilaok) . But his sons are/were w...ell accomplished musicians!!! There is a Louisa "apog", don't ask me why she was given that name, but I remember her very well, the mother of Gode, and she sang the Passion during the Pabasa days with passion and high pitched voice with unique "punto". I love to listen to her then when we had pabasa (Miyerkules Santo). O yes and she chew beetle nut with apog. Maybe because of that.See More

      October 14, 2010 at 12:15am ·

    • Pilut Schuler I remember one name: Beha!! It was given to the mother of our Memay. I think one son got the name. I will ask her why Aling Pina Alemania of Bigaa was called Beha. I cannot remember if she smoked.
      October 14, 2010 at 12:18am ·

    • Mariavictoria C. Go
      I do remember the Tilaok moniker & the musician sons. They didn't have formal training but played by ear & became one of those Filipino musicians who now play at nightclubs abroad - Hongkong, China, etc. & even on cruise ships & liners!
      "Be...ha" or "Beja" must be a shortened version or a mistransliteration of a Spanish term - maybe from "vieja" meaning "old lady".See More

      October 14, 2010 at 12:56am ·

    • Pilut Schuler No, it is Beha for the cigarette butts or ashes.Regarding the Alconabas, yes they did not have formal training but they were successful. Mamang Tirso used to go to Mama for some coaching.
      October 14, 2010 at 1:02am ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@Pilut Schuler : Now that you mentioned a "Beha", how can we, specially Tita Evic, forget to include "Nganga" to this list...*chuckles*
      October 14, 2010 at 1:09am ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences
      ‎@Mariavictoria C. Go : Yes , Tita Evic...he was the life-long bachelor who sported this Bogey-ish persona and drove a top down car...I always thought he as caught in a 40's Hollywood kind of time warp...he stayed and looked that way till ...his dying day. And yes, he lived in the ground floor of that concrete art deco kind of house on Osmeña...that nice old house was torn down a few years after he passed away. If I am not mistaken, his real name is Eleuterio Dinulos and I still don't know why he was called "Bagyo" or why he reacted that way when children called him by that name.See More

      October 14, 2010 at 1:18am ·

    • Mariavictoria C. Go Re "Bagyo" - I'll propose a theory. Could "Bagyo" be because he's "windy" or because he "inundates" everyone w stories that makes him come off as a "braggart"?
      October 14, 2010 at 1:21am ·

    • Mariavictoria C. Go If that is the case for "beha" - what's behind the denigrating term "intsik beho"? (my query has nothing to do w my being married to a Chuakay-Go)
      October 14, 2010 at 1:25am ·

    • Mariavictoria C. Go So who owned the "art deco" house & lot?
      October 14, 2010 at 1:26am ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@ Mariavictoria C. Go : I am not too sure who the heirs are to that property...but somehow, I think they are related to the Deacostas (Architect Narcisa/Esit and her niece Brigitte)...interesting question though - I will try to find out more about this..and yes, I am thinking of the same thing as your theory on the nickname "Bagyo" that was given to this gentleman...
      October 14, 2010 at 1:39am ·

    • Mike L. Cariño A few more unique family monikers: "Apanas" (Caparas); "Kalamay" (Salasiban) ; "Bangga" (Punongbayan); "Kastila" (Cajucom). "Balut" (Flores)
      October 15, 2010 at 11:16am ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@ Mike L. Cariño : *chuckles* Yes, these are names that I forgot to include in the list...keep them coming, Tito Mike...hahah!
      October 15, 2010 at 11:26am ·

    • Mike L. Cariño OK RB! You have them as soon as I get them :-)
      October 15, 2010 at 12:27pm ·

    • Mike L. Cariño RB, as promised: "Bayong" (Bonilla); "Panotsa" (Almonte); "Pinawa" (Deacosta); "Patola" (Pineda); "Kampana" (Alcira)
      October 16, 2010 at 10:55am ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@ Mike L. Cariño : This is getting to be a real interesting and funny list, Tito Mike...I'm sure the rest of our readers are enjoying the information...share on!
      October 16, 2010 at 1:34pm ·

    • Mike L. Cariño ‎@Cabuyao...: I have had a lot of help from friends. Hopefully there are some more yet to be unearthed. :-)
      October 16, 2010 at 1:52pm ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences Has anyone heard of or do any of you remember the late Aling "Piringkita"? *laughs*
      October 17, 2010 at 9:06am ·

    • Al Herce Aling Piringkita bulag?,,, this is fun Mike and RB; next time na umuwi ako for vacation. lets get together to reminiscence the good old ways in CABUYAO...Mike you got everything, I think.; yeah I remember the 1 2 3 takbo.
      October 27, 2010 at 1:32pm ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@ Al Herce : Yes, I believe that Aling Piringkita's mother is no less than Salud Bulag and her younger brother is the late Boy "Ati" - such names! ...*chuckles*

      Do you know why she is called "Piringkita"?

      October 27, 2010 at 3:02pm ·

    • Pilut Schuler The nickname "Patola" is not new to me. I thought it was for Tonio Alcasabas, the owner of the old house vis a vis ours but it was his wife, aling Dodang who is the "Patola" then!!! We still have the "Bumbay"! I don't know who was called this nickname tho.
      October 27, 2010 at 3:10pm ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences Isn't the monicker for Tonio Alcasabas "Toniong Baros"? Just asking...I vaguely remember hearing that in the past from someone.
      October 27, 2010 at 11:57pm ·

    • Mike L. Cariño ‎@Cabuyao: You're right RB. They are one and the same.
      October 28, 2010 at 3:38pm ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@ Mike L. Cariño : Thanks for confirming that, Tito Mike...*grins*
      October 28, 2010 at 3:57pm ·

    • Teresa Gaston
      My grandfather is Emong Pinawa Deacosta. So called, according to my Mom Virginia Deacosta Alampay, because he was very dark, like the bigas pinawa (something I never saw or tasted). He was also the town's known "terrorist". Mother's would f...righten wayward children daw with "sisilipin ni Emong Pinawa ang inyong atay." I don't remember the tutit epithet applied to Lolo or to Tita Odeng either, but I guess one's memories can be selective when it comes to the ones nearest and dearest to us. He is of Portuguese ancestry and the original name yata is Da Costa, pero siyempre in-espanol na ng mga frailes.See More

      October 28, 2010 at 10:58pm ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@ Teresa Gaston : Thanks for sharing your memories...We hope to hear more from you soon. Yours is a clan that is truly Cabuyeño! Welcome to the page, Teresa.
      October 29, 2010 at 8:13pm ·

    • Pilut Schuler ‎@Teresa Gaston: Hello there! So you are the Teresa Alampay! I remember you very well. We went to Canossa before and if I am not mistaken, classmates. Remember me? Pilut Paguia. You lived in the old Batallones house beside the Carpena's residence while in Cabuyao!
      October 29, 2010 at 11:09pm ·

    • Teresa Gaston
      Yes I thought it was you Pilut. We are algo pariente because of Tita Piling Virtucio married to your uncle on your mother's side. Your Mom was pointed out to us by my Mom as an example of good pianist. My Mom's r efforts at turning us into ...passable piano players did not progress much despite lessons from Mother Cecilia in Canossa. But you were a good one due maybe to the discipline of your mom. Are you in FB we should exchange memories. I love our Cabuyao days. And yes we are true blooded Cabuyenos. Our roots go down deep and i remember and love our relatives there. and boy, do I have stories to tell of our mga ninunos.See More

      October 30, 2010 at 8:39am ·

    • Teresa Gaston I remember "bagyo" being referred to by my Mom. I am almost sure she used it to mean he was a "mahangin" or a braggadaccio. Never met or saw the man though and I am equally sure, town reputations can sometimes be undeserved. But it does make for interesting stories.
      October 30, 2010 at 9:39am ·

    • Robespierre Caparas I remember a Family named " KALUANGAN" who knows them? and ponsong Pingas i think he's a Kubrador..
      October 31, 2010 at 6:49pm ·

    • Teresa Gaston My mother's cousin, Tita Esit, the architect, had a brother I think called Medardo. He was half blind, I think. Lola said that was because he was conceived or born during an eclipse. But he had very good hearing and was a piano tuner. i wonder if some of the blogs were referring to him as the Bulag. Gosh, I cringe when I remember how freely people use physical handicaps as epithets during those times.
      November 1, 2010 at 11:07am ·

    • Cabuyao - Stories, Anecdotes and Remniscences ‎@ Teresa Gaston : I remember Mang Medardo being invited to tune up the old piano in my Lolo and Lola's house a number of times when I was much younger. I don't think he had a monicker which referred to his infirmity, though.
      November 1, 2010 at 9:57pm ·

    • Mike L. Cariño Just learned something new today: Don Juan Dinulos, father of Terio was the original "bagyo" - so-called then because of his flamboyant ways and lifestyle. So I was told. :-)
      November 2, 2010 at 12:49pm ·

    • Jose Angelo Alconaba
      the story of the moniker of the larumbis according to them was that, someone was looking for a certain isko. this isko makes patis. ung napagtanungan thought it was tata isko larumbi. and directed them to his place. but it wasn't tata isko ...that person was looking for. from then on the larumbi has been called patis. this story was told to me by a descendant of tata isko.
      the tilaok/talaok moniker was derived from the a piece being played by the local brass band back then. according to my father, a relative was assigned to do the rooster crow which was part of the piece. and from then on we were called tilaok or talaok.
      See More

      November 2, 2010 at 10:39pm ·

    • Carole Rodet Remember the Don Juan Dinulos : the "old guy who drove a top down looking like Humphrey Bogart, a Terio Dinulos I think, who hounded kids who called him Bagyo and 1-2-3 Pak! heheh I was once upon a time one of those kids...*chuckles*" - just learned he's for sure a relative ;)
      February 10 at 11:34am ·

    • Carole Rodet and his grandson living on Bonifacio Street is called "Baggy Boy" or Bagyo ..
      February 10 at 11:38am ·

No comments:

Post a Comment